Chloë Grace Moretz Says the 'Family Guy' Meme Caused Her Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Twelve years ago, a child actress named Chloë Grace Moretz turned heads with a stellar on-screen performance in the horror film called Let Me In. Her award-winning portrayal of a vampire came on the heels of her breakthrough showing in Kick-Ass about six months prior. Since being thrust into the limelight as a preteen, Chloë has become a leading woman in Hollywood, a curator in the fashion industry, and an activist. But with all of the pressure-packed obstacles that she has overcome, both on and off screen, perhaps the most challenging of the bunch was the mockery that she faced after a side-by-side image of her and a cartoon character from Family Guy went viral back in 2016.

According to the 25-year-old, the viral meme brought her so much embarrassment that it caused her mental and physical health to deteriorate. In a recent interview with Hunger magazine, Chloë opened up about the downward spiral that the meme sent her and how she's copped with it since.

"For a long time, I was able to be the Chloë that people see and the Chloë that I am in private...and then came the onslaught of horrific memes that started getting sent to me about my body," Chloë recalled. "There was one meme that really affected me, of me walking into a hotel with a pizza box in my hand. And this photo got manipulated into a character from Family Guy with the long legs and the short torso, and it was one of the most widespread memes at the time. Everyone was making fun of my body, and I brought it up with someone, and they were like, ‘Oh, shut the f*** up, it’s funny.’ And I just remember sitting there and thinking, my body is being used as a joke and it’s something that I can’t change about who I am, and it is being posted all over Instagram. It was something so benign as walking into a hotel with leftovers. And to this day, when I see that meme, it’s something very hard for me to overcome. It took a layer of something that I used to enjoy, which was getting dressed up and going to a carpet and taking a photo, and made me super self-conscious. And I think that body dysmorphia — which we all deal with in this world — is extrapolated by the issues of social media."

The actress went on to reveal that she is still receiving therapeutic treatment over the online ridicule, which has triggered her reclusive behavior as of late.

For more on this story, click the link below.

Source:  Yahoo! News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice! LaLa Anthony Has A Topless Sex Scene On “Power”!

Denzel Washington launches campaign to play James Bond